среда, 1 июня 2016 г.

One Room Challenge {week two}

One Room Challenge {week two}

We are on to Week Two of the challenge and I’m not really sure where Week One went! My plan for the challenge is to bring a little happiness – and color – to my great bones but very bland laundry room. You can see my first post of the challenge here


This is what I’m starting with:


Before photos of laundry room from Suburban Bitches
Before photos of laundry room from Suburban Bitches

As I’m not doing any major remodeling to the room & as I only decided to join the ORC at the last minute I kept my goals for the week simple – decide what direction I wanted to go in. Yeah, sounds easy enough but there were a few too many hours spent on pinterest while my little guy camped out in front of a choo-choo show.


At first I thought I wanted to do the room in aqua and coral like this one by Maria Barros:


Maria Barros
via Vivid Hue Home

Or any of these bits of beautiful aqua/coral inspiration:


Coral-and-Aqua-2
via m{pressions

But, as much as I love that combo, I knew that I wanted to do something bold in that room and bold isn’t quite coral and aqua.


Next I jumped to replacing the aqua with navy. I found these while searching the web. I love this mood board on Pinterest:


navy sofa coral
via Pinterest

And this one too! Give me a little chinoiserie and I swoon.


Navy, coral and abstract painting
via Design Space – August 2011 – Fairfield County, CT

How about this design from Corea Sotropa?


corea sotropa interior designs
via The Pink Chandelier

But… I’ve already brought a fair amount of navy in this house and our condo. I thought I needed to branch out my blues in a different direction entirely.


I want the room to have an unexpected yet timeless elegance to it while also playing up some “of the moment” aspects. I don’t see myself decorating my laundry room again for years to come so the design outcome also has to be something all of us can really live with.


This image from Southern Living has been floating around my brain for months and I’ve been trying to figure out a way to use it in my house.


Family friendly kitchen
Designed by Ann Corley

I love the deep peacock blue and the aqua paired with the gold accents. I realized, this is the bold, rich combo I was looking for! I think the darker color, Benjamin Moore Bermuda Turquoise (728) will be perfect for the laundry room door and the lighter one, Benjamin Moore Kensington Green (710) will make for an interesting ceiling. Keep your fingers crossed that the colors look as good in my space as they do here.


Now that I’m fully on board with the peacock blue look I think that instead of bringing in complementary colors the room would be more of a striking if I went for a saturation of monochromatic colors.


Like this teal and peacock blue room featured on House of Turquoise.


Teal and peacock room
By Annsley Interiors

The aqua trim on the headboard and roman shade has me sold on the combination. I plan to do a window treatment and a cushion for a bench in the same style.


Now that I’ve got the color aspect down it’s time to conquer (at least in my imagination) the other elements in the room. I’ve been eyeing the West Elm Capiz Orb for my living room. Now I think it might be even better as replacements for boob 1 and boob 2 in the laundry room. I picked up the small and medium today from the Denver store and I think they are going to be perfect.


West Elm Capiz Orb Pendant
West Elm Capiz Orb Pendant

Next is the floor. I’m in love with this rug from Charlotte & Ivy. Could they just whip one up for me in a peacock blue as the kelly green just kinda isn’t going to work in this room?


Fret Collection Wool Flat-weave Rug, Garden Green Charlotte and Ivy
Garden Green Fret Collection Wool Rug, Charlotte and Ivy

Since I doubt they will I’m still on the prowl for the perfect rug. Let me know if you happen across the rug I need!


As for the walls my thoughts are gold frames, family pictures and, what room could use a bit of taxidermy?


deer antler
deer antler

If you’d like to see more of my ideas for the laundry room, check out the pinterest board I created here. Or you can follow suburbanbitches on instagram and throughout the day today I’ll be posting all the peacock blue inspiration I discovered on a Denver shopping trip.


My goal for this week is to get the ceiling painted, purchase fabric for the window treatment & cushion cover, find a set of antlers & some accessories for the room. Check in again next Thursday to see how I fare!


This entry was posted in HT-One Room Challange, One Room Challenge, Recent Posts and tagged one room challenge.


Original article and pictures take www.suburban-bees.com site

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий